The Archaeological Museum is since 1991 situated in the building opposite the entrance to the Fortezza. The building was constructed by the Turks as an additional defence for the Fortezza. It was used as a state prison until the 1960’s.
The museum houses major findings from the archaeological sites in the prefecture; as:
Finds from the minoan settlements at Apodoulou, Monastiraki and from the peak sanctuary at Vrysinas, dated to the Middle Minoan period (2100-1600 B.C.)
Late Minoan finds (1600-1100 B.C.) derived from cemeteries, the most representative being that of Armenoi
Finds of the Geometric (1000-700 B.C.) and Archaic (700-500 B.C.) periods from Eleutherna and Axos
Finds from Stavromenos and Argyroupolis (ancient Lappa) dated to the Classical, Hellenistic and Roman periods.
Among the most important exhibits are:
Clay larnax decorated with a hunting scene. Found at the Late Minoan cemetery of Armenoi (1320-1200 BC.).
Figurine of the Minoan goddess. The statuette represents the well-known Minoan female deity with upraised hands. It was found at Pangalochori and dates to the Late Minoan period (1320-1200 BC.).
Marble statue of Aphrodite. Roman copy of a Greek original, found at Argyroupolis. Dated to the 1st century AD.
Clay model of a shrine. Preserved only in the upper part, it represents the upper floor of the shrine. It was found at Monastiraki and dates from the Middle Minoan period (1800-1700 BC.).
Stone model of an offering table. The fragment preserves part of a Linear A inscription. It was found at the peak sanctuary of Vrysinas and dates from the Middle Minoan period (1700-1600 BC.).
Pyxis strainer from Stavromenos. Clay footed vase with a lid and perforated base. The surface is decorated with painted rows of spirals and floral patterns. Dated to the Late Minoan period (1500-1450 BC.).
Head of a terracotta female figurine. Found at Axos and dated to 530 B.C.
Part of a marble funerary stele. It bears the relief representation of a warrior carrying a shield. It was found at Eleutherna and is dated to the second half of the 6th century BC.
01Nov – 31May Tue-Sun, 0800-1500[/mpc_icon_column][/mpc_connected_icons]